GAANN Outreach Opportunities
By participating in outreach activities such as those suggested below you can gain experience in communicating your research to others, and in promoting learning. This experience will strengthen your applications for grant funding (especially NSF) as well as being a rewarding and valuable activity for both you and the organization you volunteer for. Here are some ideas for ways you can become involved in outreach.
- Join the CSU STEM Educators Club—a group of students at Colorado State University interested in education and outreach in the STEM fields.
- Join the CSU chapter of SACNAS
- Join the CMB Student Association
Help Local Kids and Organizations!
- PSD Schools Volunteer Opportunities – Help in the classroom, judge science fair entries, coach a team in STEM programs like Odyssey of the Mind or Lego Robotics.
- Fossil Ridge High School STEM Academy needs mentors for capstone projects
- Preston Middle School STEM Institute needs teachers and advisers for its one week summer programs.
- Fort Collins Museum of Discovery
- Discuss your research area at the Front Range Teen Science Café
Help Kids Worldwide!
- Science Buddies – Be an online expert for K-12 science fair projects
Be a Judge!
- Celebrate Undergraduate Research & Creativity at Lory Student Center in April every year
- Longs Peak Science and Engineering Fair at UNC in Greeley
- Colorado State Science and Engineering Fair at CSU Lory Student Center in April every year
- Colorado Odyssey of the Mind Tournaments in Fort Collins in Spring each year
Be a Tutor!